Top of page
Skip to main content
Due to unforeseen circumstances, all members of the Pima Community College (PCC) Governing Board will be attending the Board's March 8, 2023, Regular Meeting remotely. At the discretion of the Board Chair, PCC administrators and others making scheduled presentations to the Board may also be appearing remotely. Tonight's meeting will otherwise be conducted in a hybrid format as previously noticed, and members of the public may still attend in person at PCC's District Office, room C-105. During the "Public Comment-Call to the Audience" portion of tonight's meeting, public comments may still be made either remotely or in person. PCC staff will be on-site in room C-105 to assist members of the public attending in person who wish to address comments to the Board.

Professional Licensure by State - West Virginia

Completing an Out-of-State Program to Acquire a Teaching Certificate in West Virginia.

If you decide to pursue teacher certification pathways using programs from another state and would like to acquire a Professional Teaching Certificate in West Virginia, you will need to meet requirements which include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • The college or university must be regionally accredited
  • The teacher preparation program must be approved by the state department of education for equivalent licensure in the state where the institution of higher education resides
  • The teacher preparation program must include a student teaching experience or equivalent
  • experience and have been completed successfully
  • You must possess a minimum overall cumulative grade point average of 2.5 for a bachelor’s degree or 3.0 for a master’s degree

If you are applying for a Professional Teaching Certificate based upon a qualifying institution of higher education and an approved teacher preparation program’s official recommendation from another state, you must have a qualifying grade point average and pass all WVBE required Praxis exams or qualify for exemption(s) as detailed in the West Virginia licensure testing directory.

Approval Status

Pima Community College’s Post Baccalaureate Teacher Education Program meets the academic requirements for initial certification.

State Website

West Virginia Licensure

Contact Information

West Virginia Department of Education
1900 Kanawha Boulevard East
Charleston, West Virginia 25305
Phone: 304-558-3119

Back to main content Back to top