Pima Community College AmeriCorps (PCCAmeriCorps) is an AmeriCorps program where members serve in Adult Education Learning Centers and sites. AmeriCorps members support adult students in developing their academic as well as college and career skills that will ultimately lead to improved economic well being for the students and their families. The AmeriCorps team works together to do service projects in adult education and across the community.
Members help students stay in school in order to reach their educational and personal goals by providing:
- One-on-one tutoring
- Small group instruction
- Student Success Coaching
- Co-facilitating Student Leadership Council
- Creating service learning projects with students
- Organizing National Day of Service projects
PCCAmeriCorps is funded by the Corporation for National and Community and Service through the Arizona Governor's Office for Youth, Faith and Family.
Benefits and Commitment
AmeriCorps members receive a living stipend and are eligible for the Segal Education Award after successfully completing service. Members serve 1,700 hours and receive a $12,530 living allowance and $5,730 Segal Education Award.
Important to know
- All hours of service must be completed in one year. The AmeriCorps year begins September 1st and ends August 31st.
- Segal awards may be used for school tuition or loans within a seven-year period.
- Living allowance and Segal Education awards are subject to federal taxation.
- The living allowance does not qualify as income in filing the FAFSA form, or in applying for public benefits such as food stamps.
- Members also receive other development opportunities:
- Orientation, professional development, and training opportunities
- Career development and networking
- Arizona Summit on Volunteerism and Service Learning
- AmeriCorps gear (t-shirt, sweatshirt and hat)
- Ages 17 (with parental permission), or 18 and up
- U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien of the US
- State background checks and fingerprinting are required
- Interest and experience in providing service
- Other requirements may exist as defined by the host site
How to Apply
At My AmeriCorps register, submit a profile, and apply for the position you seek. This program is listed under Pima Community College. You may also fill out the application and bring it to our office located at the El Pueblo Liberty Learning Center, 101 W. Irvington Rd, Bldg 7. If selected, you will be required to complete Pima Community College Employee forms and I-9 identification. A background check with fingerprints is also required.
Contact the AmeriCorps Program at 520-206-3737 for more information.