The Pima Adult and Family Literacy Corps (PAFLC) is an AmeriCorps program where members serve in our Adult Education Learning Centers and Family Literacy Sites.
AmeriCorps members support adult students in developing their academic skills and aid parents in learning strategies to support their children’s development. The AmeriCorps team works together to do service projects in the centers and across the community. PAFLC builds a more literate community through the principle, “Teach the parent, reach the child.” Members assist with:
- One-on-one tutoring
- Group instruction
- Co-facilitating Student Leadership Council
- Creating service learning projects with students
- Organizing National Day of Service projects
PAFLC is an AmeriCorps program at Pima Community College, funded by the Corporation for National and Community and Service through the Arizona Governor's Office for Children, Youth and Families.
Benefits and Commitment
AmeriCorps members receive a living stipend and are eligible for the Segal Education Award after successfully completing service. Members serve 1,700 hours and receive a $12,100 living allowance and $5,550 Segal Education Award.
Important to know
- All hours of service must be completed in one year. The AmeriCorps year begins September 1st and ends August 31st.
- Segal awards may be used for school tuition or loans within a seven-year period.
- Living allowance and Segal Education awards are subject to federal taxation.
- The living allowance does not qualify as income in filing the FAFSA form, or in applying for public benefits such as food stamps.
- Members also receive other development opportunities:
- Orientation, professional development, and training opportunities
- Career development and networking
- Arizona Summit on Volunteerism and Service Learning
- AmeriCorps gear (t-shirt, sweatshirt and hat)
- Ages 17 and up
- U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien of the US
- State background checks and fingerprinting are required
- Interest and experience in providing service
- Other requirements may exist as defined by the host site
How to Apply
At My AmeriCorps register, submit a profile, and apply for the position you seek. This program is listed under Pima Community College. You may also fill out the application and bring it to our office located at the El Pueblo Liberty Learning Center, 101 W. Irvington Rd, Bldg 7. If selected, you will be required to complete Pima Community College Employee forms and I-9 identification. A background check with fingerprints is also required.
Contact the AmeriCorps Program at 520-206-3737 for more information.