Return to accessibility navigation at the top of the page.


You may appeal a decision on your Satisfactory Academic Progress status. Use this page to:

  • Determine how Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is evaluated
  • Understand your SAP status
  • Learn how to submit an Appeal and the steps involved in the process

Evaluation of Veteran Educational Benefits Eligibility

Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) are applied at the end of every semester to determine eligibility for the following academic semester.

The evaluation period will be based on attendance in all prior semester(s) and will include all classes attempted whether VA benefits were used or not.

Credits evaluated will include credits attempted at PCC and transfer credits accepted by PCC.

Students who do not meet the Standards of SAP will be notified through their PCC email and their status will be available on their MyPima Veteran’s tab.

Satisfactory Academic Progress status

Warning Term

The first time you do not meet standards of academic progress, you will be placed on "Warning" for a semester. You will receive notification of your Warning status via email and your MyPima Veteran’s tab.

Once you are placed on Warning, you must attempt to regain good academic standing. Your Warning term will be funded, provided you meet all other eligibility requirements.

Suspension of VA Benefits

If you are unable to regain good academic standing during your Warning term, your Veteran Educational Benefit eligibility will be immediately suspended, and you will be notified by email and notice on your MyPima Veteran’s tab.

To attempt to regain eligibility, you may either

  • attend courses and pay for them on your own or with private funding OR
  • submit an appeal if you have documentable extenuating circumstances that you feel prohibited you from maintaining satisfactory academic progress, and that have now been resolved.

Request for Recalculation of SAP Status

Students who are otherwise in good academic standing but who have exceeded (or who will exceed) 150% of the published length required for their certificate or degree, may submit the Request for Recalculation of SAP Status - Veterans Education Benefits form instead of appealing. Typical processing time for this form is 2 weeks after submission.

Steps for Submitting an Appeal

The appeals form is linked in Step 1 below. Your appeal must include supporting documentation of your extenuating circumstances that contributed to your failure to maintain good academic standing, as well as what has changed that will allow you to regain good academic standing with continued VA benefit use. Be sure your name and student number are on all documents.

Need help with the appeal process?  Please contact your Veteran Advisor

Step 1:

Fill out the Veterans Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal Form for the semester you are appealing:

It is not necessary to submit an appeal if you are meeting all SAP requirements other than 150% timeframe.  Refer to the section above on "Request for Recalculation of SAP Status" for more information.

Step 2:

Submit a Typed and Signed, Personal Statement

  • explain the circumstances contributing to your inability to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. You must address all unsuccessful courses and how your circumstances have changed. In addition, if you have completed more courses than those required for your program, you must also explain the reasons why you have failed to graduate in a reasonable timeframe. 
  • describe what has changed and your plan for making satisfactory progress.

Step 3:

Provide Documentation

It is extremely important that you include documentation to support your statement. Examples:

  • letters from health providers
  • copies of medical bills showing health provider visits
  • If the circumstances that contributed to your inability to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress were medical in nature, you may also wish to work with your physician. to complete the Appeal packet.
  • any other statements or documentation to support your extenuating circumstance that prevented you from making satisfactory progress.

Your appeal will be denied by the committee if documentation is not provided.

Step 4:

Make an appointment with your Veteran Advisor to develop a Plan in MyDegreePlan

Your appeal form must be signed by your Veteran Advisor indicating that you have met with them and developed an academic plan that is viewable in MyDegreePlan. Contact your Veteran Advisor to schedule an appointment.

For your appointment you must bring the following:

  1. Completed Appeal form
  2. Typed and signed, personal statement
  3. Supporting Documentation
  4. Print out of the Degree Requirements for your Program of Study 

Step 5: 

Submit Appeal Packet

It can be submitted to your Veteran Advisor or directly to the Veteran Services Office.

Step 6:

Await Decision

Appeals are reviewed by a committee.  You will be informed of the committee's decision and the status will be posted on your MyPima Veteran’s tab.  Check your MyPima email account and for the decision on your appeal.  The committee's decision is final.

Step 7:

Make Payment Arrangements

Make note of the payment deadline so that you can make payment arrangements to secure your course enrollment by that date.  Payment plans are available through your MyPima Academics tab, by using your MyAccountManager.  

Contact the Student Accounts office for additional questions about making a payment or setting up a payment plan.