Return to accessibility navigation at the top of the page.

Placement Tests & Testing Centers

Placement Processes

The college utilizes two processes to place students:  Multiple Measures and Accuplacer Placement Tests.

If you have graduated from high school or earned your GED in the last three years, the college will utilize Multiple Measures for your initial placement.  If not, the college provides opportunities to practice and prepare for the Accuplacer Placement Tests.

Multiple Measures

The college will utilize your high school transcript information and/or any test scores (GED, SAT, ACT) to place you in Mathematics, Reading, and Writing.  If the Multiple Measures placement level in any or all subjects is lower than you feel you are prepared for, an alternative is to prepare for and take the Accuplacer Placement Test(s).  The college will use whichever method provides a higher placement.  

Contact a Placement Coach at any campus Advising or Testing Center for more information.

Accuplacer Placement Tests

Basic Skills Placement is a measure of a student's knowledge in the areas of Reading, Writing, Mathematics, and English Proficiency.

Accuplacer Placement Tests are free of charge for the first two attempts.  On the third attempt, a $10 fee is charged.

Accuplacer Placement Tests are given in Testing Centers and take two to three hours to complete. To take a placement test you must:

  • have already submitted a PCC admission application
  • complete the Pre-Placement Tutorial, access in MyPima under the New Students tab, Step 4
  • bring a state or educational institution issued photo ID to the testing center

Students who may require a testing accommodation for a disability, and are eligible under ADA guidelines, must first contact a Program Specialist at Access and Disability Resources.

Who must take Basic Skills Placement Tests?

You should take basic placement tests in reading, writing and mathematics before you register if you are:

  • attending PCC for the first time, or have not completed a college course within the last three years, and are intending to complete a degree or certificate.
  • currently in high school and would like to register for dual enrollment courses.
  • enrolling for the first time in a reading, writing, mathematics or general education course.

Which placement test should I take?

  • If English is your first language, you should take the Accuplacer test.
  • If you are fully bilingual with native-speaker competence in writing, reading, speaking and listening in English, you should take the Accuplacer test.
  • If English is not your first language, you should take the Accuplacer ESL test.

You do not need to take any placement tests if you:

  • have already earned a degree or certificate at a level above the Arizona General Education Certificate.
  • can document competency in reading, writing or mathematics through previous assessments or college-level courses.
  • are enrolling only in non-credit, contract or special interest courses.
  • are enrolling in a certificate program that does not require placement tests.

Previous scores or transcripts must be presented to a counselor or advisor before registration.