Pima requires students to indicate their residency status when applying for admission. This allows us to assess the correct tuition and comply with state law.
The admissions office must determine your legal residency before you can register and pay fees for any semester or session.
Responsibility: It is the student's responsibility to indicate the correct residency status (domicile determination) when applying for admission and registering for classes. Domicile is determined as of the first day of the session in which a student is enrolling.
Change in status: Students requesting a change to their residency status must submit a Residency Correction Form and supporting documentation to any campus student services center.
In-State Tuition: Students seeking in-state tuition must also complete a one-time Verification of Lawful Presence Form (formerly the Tuition Assessment Form).
Residency Status Guidelines
Guidelines that are used to determine residency status are taken from the Arizona Revised Statutes Sections 15-1801 through 15-1807.
- Definitions (Section 15-1801)
- In-State Student Status (Section 15-1802)
- County Residency Status; Community College Districts (Section 15-1802.01)
- Alien In-State Student Status (Section 15-1803)
- Presumptions Relating To Student Status; Definition (Section 15-1804)
- Student Status Guidelines (Section 15-1805)
- Admissions; Enrollments; Community Colleges (Section 15-1805.01)
- Testimony Concerning Student Status: Designation of Persons to Administer Oaths (Section 15-1806)
- Concurrent Enrollment; Nonresident Tuition (Section 15-1807)
Undocumented students that are eligible for deferred action status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, have a valid I-766, and can demonstrate residency in Arizona, will be considered for in-state tuition status beginning in Fall 2013. For more information on the DACA program, view a list of Frequently Asked Questions.
For questions about these guidelines or for help determining residency status, contact any campus Student Services Center.