Administrative & Staff Job Classifications
Class Specification Title: Student Services Technician
Series: Student Services
The Student Services Technician is the first level of a six-level student services series. Incumbents perform a variety of technical duties to provide frontline services and general information to students and the general public in the following areas, including, but not limited to: admissions, assessment/testing, new student orientation, registration, self-service, and the welcome desk. The Student Services Technician is responsible for data entry and retrieval, dissemination of general information; processing and preparing technical documents and forms and providing basic training to students in the use of the student portal and other online student services. The Student Services Technician is differentiated from the Student Services Specialist by its emphasis on entry level technical skills and frontline duties. The Specialist performs duties that require making determinations and recommendations to students regarding programs, processes and procedures.
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES
These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.
- Providing general information and services to students and the general public relating to College inquiries and requests for information in the areas including but not limited to: admissions, registration, new student orientation, assessment, and testing, the welcome desk. Daily 20%
- Providing training to students in the use of the student portal and other online student services; and, assisting in resolving routine problems for students, the public, staff, and faculty related to College student services and associated programs. Daily 20%
- Processing and maintaining accurate and detailed records and documents; preparing student records and associated correspondence; data entry and retrieving information from databases and verifying the completeness and accuracy of the information submitted. Daily 20%
- Preparing a variety of technical documents, which involves: collecting and verifying information; assembling, compiling and printing reports; proofreading and distributing reports. Daily 10%
- Updating and correcting discrepancies in student information system and other systems following prescribed guidelines. Daily 10%
- Performing other duties of a similar nature or level as required. Daily 10%
Training and Experience (positions in this class typically require):
One year of post-secondary education (30 credits) and one year of experience in student/customer services; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Licensing Requirements (positions in this class typically require):
- None Required.
Knowledge (position requirements at entry):
- Desktop computing and applicable software and programs
- Basic record keeping principles
- Customer service principles
- Modern office procedures
Skills (position requirements at entry):
- Maintaining accurate and detailed records
- Maintaining confidential student records
- Performing data entry and verifying and proofing entries
- Processing various forms and applications
- Applying state and federal guidelines and regulations
- Providing customer service
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
Positions in this class typically require: fingering, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Work: Positions are not sedentary. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Jobs require the ability to move around on a frequent basis to perform the duties of the position in an office environment.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.
Prepared by Fox Lawson & Associates LLC (DJG/LM): 03/01
Revision prepared by Deans of Student Development and Human Resources: 10/02
Revised by Human Resources: 03/06
Revised by Human Resources and the Vice Presidents of Student Development: 11/09