Return to accessibility navigation at the top of the page.


You may appeal a decision on your Satisfactory Academic Progress status. Use this page to:

  • Determine how Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is evaluated
  • Understand your SAP status
  • Learn how to submit an Appeal and the steps involved in the process

Evaluation of Financial Aid Eligibility

Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) are applied at the end of every semester to determine eligibility for the following academic semester.

The evaluation period will be based on attendance in all prior semester(s) and will include all classes attempted whether federal aid was received or not.

Credits evaluated will include credits attempted at PCC and transfer credits accepted by PCC.

Students who do not meet the Standards of SAP will be notified through their PCC email and their status will be available on their MyPima Financial Aid tab.

Satisfactory Academic Progress status

Warning Term

The first time you do not meet standards of academic progress, you will be placed on "Warning" for a semester. You will receive notification of your Warning status via email and your MyPima Financial Aid tab.

Once you are placed on Warning, you must attempt to regain good academic standing. Your Warning term will be funded, provided you meet all other eligibility requirements.

Suspension of Financial Aid

If you are unable to regain good academic standing during your Warning term, your financial aid eligibility will be immediately suspended, and you will be notified by email and notice on your MyPima Financial Aid tab.

To attempt to regain eligibility, you may either

  • attend courses and pay for them on your own or with private funding OR
  • submit an appeal if you have documentable extenuating circumstances that you feel prohibited you from maintaining satisfactory academic progress, and that have now been resolved.

Steps for Submitting an Appeal

The appeals form is linked in Step 1 below. Your appeal must include supporting documentation of your extenuating circumstances that contributed to your failure to maintain good academic standing, as well as what has changed that will allow you to regain good academic standing with continued financial aid.

Need help with the appeal process?  View this informative presentation [PDF]

Step 1:

Fill out a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal form. 

The appeal form for Summer 2014 will be coming soon. 

Be sure your name and student number are on all documents.

Step 2:

Submit a Typed and Signed, Personal Statement

  • explain the circumstances contributing to your inability to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. You must address all unsuccessful courses and how your circumstances have changed. In addition, if you have completed more courses than those required for your program, you must also explain the reasons why you have failed to graduate in a reasonable timeframe. 
  • describe what has changed and your plan for making satisfactory progress.

Step 3:

Provide Documentation

It is extremely important that you include documentation to support your statement. Examples:

  • letters from health providers
  • copies of medical bills showing health provider visits
  • If the circumstances that contributed to your inability to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress were medical in nature, you may also wish to work with your physician to complete the Evaluation Questionnaire for Physician / Health Care Provider Form and submit this with your completed Appeal packet.
  • any other statements or documentation to support your extenuating circumstance that prevented you from making satisfactory progress.

Your appeal will be denied by the committee if documentation is not provided.

Step 4:

Make an appointment with an Academic Advisor/Counselor to develop a Plan in MyDegreePlan

Your appeal form must be signed by an academic advisor or counselor indicating that you have met with them and developed an academic plan that is viewable in MyDegreePlan. Contact your nearest Student Services Center to schedule an appointment.

For your appointment you must bring the following:

  1. Completed Appeal form
  2. Typed and signed, personal statement
  3. Supporting Documentation
  4. Print out of the Degree Requirements for your Program of Study 

Step 5: 

Submit Appeal Packet

It can be submitted to any campus student services center.

Step 6:

Await Decision

Appeals are reviewed by a committee.  You will be informed of the committee's decision by email and the status will be posted on your MyPima Financial Aid tab.  The committee's decision is final.